Teaching python (programming) to children

Jeff Sandys sandysj at juno.com
Tue Nov 6 13:01:20 EST 2001

Brian Elmegaard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ... Are there good reasons for advocating python
> being a language one could teach children programming ...

Yes, if you are interested in this you should join the
python edu-sig:
	http://www.python.org/sigs/edu-sig/

I strongly believe in Computer Programming for Everyone (CP4E).
Every high school graduate should be able to express themselves
with any form of popular expression.  They should be able to
write or speak an idea, draw a likeness, sing or play music, and
create a computer algorithm.  They don't need to be a star or
make it a vocation, but their expressions should be understood
by others and give a feeling of accomplishment to oneself.

Computers will become more and more prevalent in society.
Microsoft won't be able to provide everyone with the canned
expressions that the user wants to express.  There needs to be
an easy to use programming language that allows a high degree
of abstraction.  For adults and students Python is that language.

Personally though I use Logo for grammar and middle school
students.  Once I develop an adequate curriculum and syllabus I
will use Python in the middle school, because Logo lacks
the ability to do object oriented programming.  Elica is an
advanced version of Logo that has some of Python's features.
Perhaps in the future the best features of Logo, simple
syntax and error messages, will be combined with Python's
best features, object oriented, every platform and large
libraries, to make my ideal programming and teaching language.
(Python + Elica => Pelican ?)

Elica reference:
	http://www.elica.net

Thanks,