[ruby-talk:25779] Scripting for both object and non-object (fwd)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 18 18:22:01 EST 2001

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Ed Ohsone wrote:
> I would like to know names of general purpose scripting languages which
> are capable of going both object and non-object oriented.
> I know tcl is one of that kind.
> If you know any others, please let me know URL of their home pages.
> The reason I am asking this question is we want to select
> a language which best suits our future projects.
> One of their requirements is freedom from object-oriented shackles.
> Object-oriented design is a great idea but we are going to waters
> where it can be impediments.

Object-oriented programming is an extension of structured imperative
programming. I guess it could be called "more structured". Everything that
structured programming is good for can be done as easily in many OO
languages. Some other OO languages make it a bit more difficult, but
that's usually only two more lines to add.

I can say that in both Ruby and Python you can define a plain procedure as
easily as you'd do in Perl and Tcl, even though the former two are pure OO
languages.

In any case, making things more OO is not an excuse for making them more
difficult (and actually it should be the opposite: easier)

Mathieu Bouchard                   http://hostname.2y.net/~matju