string.join() syntax quirky?

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Wed Nov 28 12:08:21 EST 2001

Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:07:57 -0800, Chris Barker <chrishbarker at home.net> pisze:

> Another way to look at is is that joining and splitting are
> inherently string functionailty, and thus belong with the string
> object.

For me joining and splitting are approximately inverses of each other.
join indeed belongs to a string object: the one which is about to
be produced! It's like a constructor. It's a coincidence that the
separator also happens to be a string.

We could have joining without separators. In that case there would be
no string object to make this a method of. Not every function makes
sense as a method of an existing object.

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/