Newbie question abt __getitem__ and __iter__

Chris Tavares christophertavares at
Mon Nov 19 23:21:36 CET 2001

"karthik Guru" <karthikg at> wrote in message
news:mailman.1006174588.23695.python-list at
> hi all,
> what other languages support treating a class as a collection of objects
> allowing indexed access to it's constituents?
> I also liked the iter() concept and the way it works.
> I saw C# adopting both these things.
> But which language supported it first?
> thanks,
> karthik.

Probably Smalltalk or Lisp - it seems that all of modern computer science is
trying desperately to get back to what we already had working just fine in
1970. :-)