syntax-error?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Nov 23 14:34:12 EST 2001

Stefan Antoni wrote:

> I got the following script and it produces a syntax error which drives
> me crazy

here's how that function looks in my editor:

> def ExtractData(in_string, start_line, end_line):
>     lstr = in_string.splitlines()
>         j = 0 # a counter
>         for i in lstr:

the lstr line uses four spaces for indentation, the lines after
it uses a single tab.

the python interpreter assumes that a tab is 8 spaces.  it's
a good idea to use the same setting in your editor (or better,
to use only spaces or use only tabs).

editor configuration tips and tricks can be found here:

    http://py-howto.sourceforge.net/editor/

</F>

<!-- (the eff-bot guide to) the python standard library:
-->