IsPython really O-O? - Think different !

Gerhard =?unknown-8bit?Q?H=E4ring?= gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Sun Nov 11 16:33:51 EST 2001

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 10:02:51PM +0100, Guido Stepken wrote:
> My experience, coming from many languages (BASIC, ASSEMBLER, PASCAL,
> MODULA-2/3, LISP, PROLOG, C, C++, JAVA, now Python is:
>
> 1. Python is easy to learn
> 2. Python is easy to keep in mind
> 3. Python is full OO!

Modules and functions (and others) are first-class objects, which is something
rarely found in other languages. There are no ugly primitive types like in
Java. So it's at least more OO than any language I know. But then, I don't know
Smalltalk. Hey, if you want to annoy a Smalltalk zealot, why don't you tell him
that his language is far less functional than Haskell, Ocaml or even Python!
And far less type-safe than Ada, Eiffel or Java (this is just my guess, but it
might be true).

> 4. Python Code is reusable
> 5. Python has simple to unterstand containers, polymorphism
> 6. Python is powerfull, but easy to understand
> 7. Python is fun for kids (my experience !)
> 8. Python is a full OO language with mighty modules and libraries
> 9. Python can't keep up with smalltalk or haskell in OO features (i am
> missing makro's, but ist's the best compromise I have ever seen.

Well, I think Python can keap up very well with Haskell's OO features ;-) Not
with functional features, though. But I've heard the list comprehensions were
inspired by Haskell. Never could wrap my head around Haskell's IO, myself.

> 10. Python is much more readable than Smalltalk, Eiffel, Haskell, Lisp,
> C++, JAVA so it's easier for team  -  programming
> 11. JAVA is spread all over the world, but there is JPYTHON !!!!!!!!!!
> 12. Try Python, an you will see your own !

> 13. Python has future - see Microsoft Visual Studio implementation of
> Python ..... - Even Microsoft likes Python !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A minor correction: VisualPython is an ActiveState product. Microsoft has AFAIK
nothin to do with it except that they provide VisualStudio 7 with a plug-in API
for other languages, debuggers, etc.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0