extracting a pattern using RE

Peoter Veliki peoter_veliki at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 29 20:02:11 EST 2001

In perl you can use variables within regular expressions to extract patterns, something like this:

string ~= /\((.*)\)/g

pattern = $1

Probably not correct, but it is attempting to extract text surrounded by parenthes

if string equals '(hello)', pattern would equal 'hello'.  How can this be done in Python?

I also am having problems with recursive patterns, what if I want to do the same thing with string = '(hello (there))' , I want to be able to extract both 'hello (there)' and 'there'.

Thanks