Freeware Python editor

Erik Max Francis max at
Thu Nov 1 01:40:22 CET 2001

Paul Winkler wrote:

> But this was before my time. Can anyone who was hacking in the 70s/80s
> comment on the evolution of these terms? When did "freeware" come to
> mean "free beer, no source"?

In the eighties, _freeware_ was a very common term which simply meant
that the software was freely available for (sometimes non-commercial
only) use.  Whether source code was available for free, available for a
fee, or not available at all was a totally separate question.

 Erik Max Francis / max at /
/  \ Laws are silent in time of war.
\__/ Cicero
    Esperanto reference /
 An Esperanto reference for English speakers.