Size of an object in memory?

Michael Hudson mwh at
Fri Nov 16 11:19:54 CET 2001

Fernando Pérez <fperez528 at> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
> > Fernando Pérez <fperez528 at> writes:
> >
> >> Is there any way (at runtime, dynamically) to obtain the size in
> >> bytes of a given object in memory?
> >
> > Didn't we do this a few days ago?  See this thread:
> >

> > but, in short, no, and you don't really want to know.
> >
> Sorry to bug, but I'm new to the list and I'm not sure which thread you're
> talking about. If I hit the link you provide I get a blank in google. Could
> you repost the correct link if you have it handy?

Damn, I was sure I checked that.  What's even wierder is that I can't
find the relavent thread any more, either.  There's a bit of it here:

(I haven't tried to trim the URL this time...).  It started with the

<_6FG7.33159$i4.5175661 at>

which is still on my news server if that's any help.

This article isn't on google (any more).  Wierd.  Maybe it'll turn up

perplexed-ly yr's

93. When someone says "I want a programming language in which I
    need only say what I wish done," give him a lollipop.
  -- Alan Perlis,