HOWTO: Programming S/MIME in Python with M2Crypto

Richard Jones richard at bizarsoftware.com.au
Thu Nov 29 16:51:59 EST 2001

On Friday 30 November 2001 08:33, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Thursday 29 November 2001 23:11, Graeme Longman wrote:
> > Please could you let me know exactly how you got this working. Is the
> > sendsmime() method you refer to the same one that is given in the HOWTO ?
>
> It's equivalent code.
>
> > Or is there another smime method which is part of the python package ?
> >
> > I've been trying to get the examples in the HOWTO to work with Netscape
> > Messenger and haven't been able to.
>
> They should work fine - there's nothing at all special about those
> examples.

Hang on, just had a thought - what _version_ of "Netscape Messenger" are you
using? Netscape 6+ aka Mozilla aka "nobody uses S/MIME, it's not important,
so we won't bother implementing it" aka *grrr* ... well, it doesn't support
S/MIME. You need to revert to a _useful_ email package, like the one with
Netscape 4.7 or Outlook (the only two mail packages that I know of that
support S/MIME in a graphical environment.)

   Richard