Python Newbie

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Tue Nov 6 20:52:50 EST 2001

Edy Lie wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
>    I am totally a new python wannabe coder. I have been switching between
> python and perl last few months. In Perl i could code some small scripts
> which does the work i wanted to but somehow in my mind it has been telling
> me that python is my choice.
>
> I have some doubts here
> 1. I would really want to learn this lang (What should i do?) i know instead
> of asking here i should start coding but i have no idea what should i code.
> Is there anyone in here willing to conduct a small class or at least giving
> out exercise to newbies to code ?
>
> 2. Another thing when doing coding if i am facing problem i tend to stop or
> rather wanted to learn everything in a day or as fast as i could which i
> believe is a wrong approach. Is there anyone kind enough to give me some
> direction in order i could code something useful.
>
> Thanks for all the advices.
>
> Regards,
> Edy Lie.

Check out the beginners' guide at  http://www.python.org/doc/Newbies.html for
some links to check out.  Also, you may want to subscribe to the Python Tutor
mailing list (http://www.python.org/psa/MailingLists.html#tutor)--there's a
number of people there who will gladly help you out with any problems you might
have.  For lots of suggestions, ideas, sample code, etc, you may also want to
look at the Useless Python site (http://www.lowerstandard.com/python), which was
made specifically for those of us who are not Python wizards.  ;)

Hope that this gives you a bit more to go on...

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International