Teaching python (programming) to children

Paul Rubin phr-n2001d at nightsong.com
Tue Nov 6 02:28:14 EST 2001

Brian Elmegaard <brian at rk-speed-rugby.dk> writes:
> True, and I find your first answer about logo very interesting. I
> think ages 9-12, I guess. After they have learned to read and write
> their native language, but they don't necessarily have to have learned
> a high level of abstract thinking.
>
> My idea is that programming your own utilities could be taught at
> close to the same age as where you begin to learn word processing,
> power point,...

IIRC, Papert was a student of Piaget, who was one of the big
researchers of child development.  Papert's goal in teaching Logo to
very young kids was to teach the idea of debugging at a very early
age--that they should EXPECT things they do to not work the first
time, and to learn how to diagnose and repair the problems, and not
get discouraged.