MS network provider using Python

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu Nov 1 08:56:52 EST 2001

In article <Xns914C13EEFCD3cliechtigmxnet at 62.2.16.82>,
Chris Liechti  <cliechti at gmx.net> wrote:
>"John S. Yates, Jr." <john at yates-sheets.org> wrote in
>news:k7o0ut8u8pm4ueoju5djri48ecabjanver at 4ax.com:
>> I am prototyping a network provider (a DLL exporting
>> an implementation of the MS defined NP API and invoked
>> by MS's MPR (Multiple Provider Router)).  Since I
>> anticipate a great deal of experimentation I would
>> dearly love to do some prototyping in Python.
>
>so you want a DLL that is used by an other programm but is itself written
>in python?
>
>> Can anyone in this news group offer words of wisdom?
>>
>> What is the best way in this kind of a rapid prototyping
>> environment to expose my python code as a DLL?
>
>haven't heard of such a tool. py2exe generates standalone python apps, but
>thats not what you want. wrapping DLLs so that the functions are available
>in python can be done with SWIG, thats the wrong way in this case.
>
>if you want to expose some (python coded) functions as a DLL, i think you
>have to write such a lib yourself. this DLL would then simply call an
>embedded python interpreter to achieve the function.
>
>the DLL init function starts the python interpreter and imports your
>script. all calls to the dll are then maped to a coresponding function in
>the python script.
>
>embedding python in C is failrly simple as all what you need to convert
>python data to c back and forth is provided by the Python DLL. for a
>documentation of this interface, have a look at "Extending & Embedding" in
>the Python docs that have come along with your Python distribution.
>the source version of python has also some example code on embedding the
>interpreter.
			.
			.
			.
Another direction one could take this is to write a
COM *service* in Python, using Mark's estimable Win-
specific extensions.  Would that meet the underlying
requirement of this project?  I presume that it's
easy to code a tiny COM-NP gateway.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net