Python, licenses and CVS

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Nov 29 19:24:28 EST 2001

Hung Jung Lu wrote:

> I'll speak for one here, on my own experience. I honestly tried very
> hard to switch from SourceSafe to CVS. But the CVS world just seemed
> kind of immature for Windows platform, and the disdain attitude of
> some CVS developers towards the Windows platform did not help. After
> wasting some time on various Windows adaptations of CVS, I gave up.

Our experience was the opposite.  I had used Starteam in the past and
found it very effective, but they changed their licensing and for my
new group it would have been prohibitively expensive.  We evaluated
SourceSafe extensively, but after fighting it (crashes, lost data,
and missing features) for months, I finally gave in to the advice
of a co-op student who insisted that CVS was quite up to the task.
I'm very glad to see him proven right.

Our conclusion was that while SourceSafe *might* be suitable for
a one-person situation, it was absolutely unsuited, and downright
*dangerous*, for a team environment.  I feel that with CVS our
data is *much* more secure, and we've had effectively no issues
such as crashing.  (As I mentioned elsewhere, we are now running
pserver on Linux and using WinCVS for Windows clients, plus some
shell Linux clients.  Perhaps Hung's experience with CVS on
Windows was several years ago, and things might have changed.)

But of course YMMV.

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com