Win98 PySol problem

Matthew Dixon Cowles matt at mondoinfo.com
Sat Nov 24 15:21:54 EST 2001

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 21:37:33 GMT, Bill Melcher <wpmelcher at snet.net>
wrote:

Dear Bill,

>Hi Guys

Hi!

>Sorry to bust in here but I have yet to find an appropriate 'place to go'.
>Perhaps someone can point me to some useful, helpful would be nice,
>resources or even solve my problem(s).

>1) I am very new to Python although not to computer programming
>(mostly asm on mainframe and IBM clone PC).

>  File "pysol.py", line 2024, in makeImage
>  File "O:\PYTHON21\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 2972, in __init__
>apply(Image.__init__, (self, 'photo', name, cnf, master), kw)
>  File "O:\PYTHON21\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 2928, in __init__
>self.tk.call(('image', 'create', imgtype, name,) + options)
>TclError: unknown option"-dither"

You'll need to get the source distribution and hack it very slightly.
I think that the relevant code is:

    if os.name == "nt":
        if dither is not None:
            kw["dither"] = dither

And I think you'll be fine if you just comment it out. The code
assumes that Tk supports a dither option under some versions of
Windows when at least sometimes it doesn't.

>Note that I have (at my age and circumstances) little interest in
>/programming/ in Python, I just want to get the dang program to run
>on an alien OS.

Have fun with PySol and you may want to take a look at Python:
programming in Python is fun!

Regards,
Matt