Creating a list of files in a directory

Jeff Klassen nospam!jklassen at
Wed Nov 7 18:47:39 CET 2001

I am new to Python. As a non-programmer I am encouraged by the level of
'success' I feel I have had, relative to similar learning attempts in other

I would like to simply do the following:
- read all of files of a particular form (e.g. *.cev) from a particular
- manipulate them with a series of re.sub expressions
- write each file to its own output file with a certain form (e.g. *.out).

I have been able to create the re stuff, and process individual files.
However, I cannot get a for loop to do everything in a directory.

Here is the code I came up with. (I am wanting to create a list of all files
that conform to *.cev)

import dircache
import re

filespec = re.compile(r'.*?\.cev')
filestoprocess = []

for allfiles in workingdir:

print filestoprocess

When I run this script I am returned:
AttributeError: 'None' object has no attribute 'group'

When I issue these commands in the Python Shell, substituting an actual
value for allfiles such as 'mat.cev', everything works OK. I can execute
filestoprocess.append( and then print filestoprocess,
and I am returned ['mat.cev']. Why does this fail to work inside of the

Thanks very much for any help.