Python IDE Opinion Request

Richard Chamberlain richard at sunsetandlabrea.com
Sun Nov 18 12:42:54 EST 2001

It hasn't got a gui builder but I really, really like WingIDE
(http://archaeopteryx.com/). It has a really good debugger, a nice editor
and a great source browser. Their support is also excellent, I submitted a
request for the source browser to include .cgi files as well as .py files
and had a patch within 24 hours - you can't get much better than that.

I've tried Komodo, Blackadder, Pythonworks and idle- all of which have some
nice features. Komodo was good but quite slow (especially on my 366),
Blackadder didn't feel quite finished ( which is in fact the case because
it's still in beta ), and Pythonworks seemed ok but was way out of my price
range. Idle is nice but obviously isn't as featureful as some of the
commercial offerings.

hth,

Richard