bg and fg

Stefan Antoni sasoft at gmx.de
Sun Nov 4 11:25:51 EST 2001

- i am using linux
- i got a script that takes the time.ctime string and
  compares it with a set time. if the time is the same
  as the set time, it will do something.
- the script is a non-gui application (see bottom of this mail)

question:
1. how can i move my process in the background after i
   started it (like: myscript & -> but automatically).
2. how do i move it back in the foreground when the
   action for the set time is performed?

... i had a look at the "os" module, but i dunno what i
should use (do i have to fork my script in the bg or something?)

#!/usr/bin/env python

import time, sys, os

def main(hour, minute):
  print "clock set to %s" % (hour + ":" + minute)
  time.sleep(1)
  while 1:
    try:
      currentTime = time.ctime(time.time())
      if (currentTime[11] + currentTime[12]) == hour and \
	 currentTime[14] + currentTime[15] == minute:
	 print "\a"
	 time.sleep(0.5)
      else:
        pass
    except KeyboardInterrupt:
      print "ctrl+c pressed, exiting"
      sys.exit(1)

if __name__ == '__main__':
  try:
    main(str(sys.argv[1]), str(sys.argv[2]))
  except IndexError:
    print "format is: wecker hour minute"

--
thx in advance