rxvt + python problem: script output buffered and interactive output missing

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Wed Nov 28 14:40:57 EST 2001

Manoj Plakal <plakal at yumpee.org> wrote in news:3C04A742.50700 at yumpee.org:
> Hi,
>
> I'm encountering a strange problem when I run
> Python scripts and the Python interpreter in
> an rxvt window (with tcsh) on the latest Cygwin.
> This is with Win98/BeOpen Python 2.0/Cygwin 1.3.5/rxvt-2.7.2.
>
> The scripts print some messages to stdout but
> these gets buffered and appear only when the
> app exits (it runs for a while). If I add
> calls to flush stdout, then the messages appear
> as they are printed.
>
> If I run the Python interpreter itself, I
> get no output at all, the shell just hangs,
> I get the hourglass icon and I can eventually
> break out with Ctrl-C's.
>
> Things work fine with bash in a DOS box. Makes
> me think that something is wrong with rxvt's
> handling of stdout/stderr. But it seems to
> work with some other console apps (like sftp).

yes i have the same behaviour on my machine... python mistakenly
thinks that it has to thake its input from stdin/pipe instead of running
interactive. python runs if you specify "-i" explicit.

i guess that it has something to do with the terminal name that rxvt sets,
so that an app doesn't know that its a console window.

chris

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>