Still on python GUI toolkit

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Tue Nov 20 09:17:19 EST 2001

    LF> I'm trying to make a sound decision of which GUI toolkit to
    LF> use for a new software project (it is the control and
[snip]
    LF> After browsing through the various comparisons I could find
    LF> around I stripped down the list to three of them: Tkinter,
    LF> wxWindows, PyQt.

One big advantage of Tkinter over almost any other toolkit is that you
can use/script an application written with it directly from the Python
interpreter on different platforms.  This can be *very* powerful.  To
do this with wxPython you have to do something like what scipy's
gui_thread does which is not a clean enough solution.  I have no idea
about pyQt.

    LF> 3. wxWindows and PyQt are richer than Tkinter in that they
    LF> both provide more complex widgets and more control on many
    LF> aspects. I've also the feeling that PyQt/wxWindows

True, but Tkinter is very basic.  To look at *much* nicer
controls/widgets that are much better looking I'd urge you to look at
Tix.

       http://tix.sourceforge.net

I myself found this only recently - but it looks _really_ nice and
IIRC is part of Python >= 2.1.  So maybe you should look at this too.

prabhu