Python extension modules

emdpek emdpek at chron.com
Fri Nov 2 10:59:16 EST 2001

Thanks for the response, Mark!

> Check out the struct module.  It allows you to pack and
> unpack "blobs" of data (usually in a string), given a
> format string.

The one drawback is the "native" C struct being returned by
the library may have contain several megabytes of data.
Converting these values back and forth between C and Python
might prove too much overhead.  (Correct me if I am
wrong!!!)

Just a thought, but are there examples Py_BuildValue's "O&"
modifier?  This might provide another solution...

>  > static PyObject*
>  > MyNew_getattr(MyNew *self, char *name)

> You should use Python declarations exactly - use
> "PyObject" instead of "MyNew".  MyNew may fail in some C++
> scenarios.

I was wondering about this.  Guess I really need a cast:

static PyObject*
instance_method(PyObject *self, PyObject *args) {
  MyNew *real_self = (MyNew *)self;
  etc...
}

And in response to other posts, today I spend the day
learning SWIG.  Thanks for the help!

emdpek