Python & cgi on win98--tinyweb problems, etc

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Nov 16 09:46:10 EST 2001

"Chris Stromberger" <bit_bucket5 at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p6p8vtk41q0dsf46tv00d60t2vuom3vmvd at 4ax.com...
> I'm looking for a solution to this:
> I want to run a personal web server to run python cgi scripts that
> interact with a mysql database on a windows 98 pc that's connected to
> the internet via cable modem.  I would rather avoid all security
> issues and only allow the web server to serve pages to localhost--this
> setup will be for a single user of the pc, no remote users, etc.  Very
> simple.  So, I don't need a fancy web server.  Any advice?
>
> I have tried apache and it works fine, of course, but I think it's too
> heavyweight for what I want here.
>
> I found tinyweb on the internet, and it looks promising, but I can't
> get it to run a python cgi script.  It will run a test windows
> executable that I placed in the cgi-bin directory, so it's some
> problem specific to python and tinyweb.  Any clues?  The tinyweb
> documentation is pretty minimal.
>
> Any other recommendations for small simple web servers for this
> project?

Run, do not walk, to www.xitami.com, and download the freeware load.

It runs well, with a very small footprint, and besides allowing CGI
scripting and having web-based administration it also lets you build
long-running web processes in Python! Naturally you can specify which
interfaces you want to use to serve web content (and naturally you will want
to limit yourself to 127.0.0.1). I ditched PWS a year ago and have never
looked back.

regards
 Steve
--