How much is set in stone?

Delaney, Timothy tdelaney at avaya.com
Sun Nov 4 19:14:41 EST 2001

You have a couple of options.

1. Choose a baselined version - usually, 1.5.2, 2.0.1 or 2.1.1 (soon to be
2.1.2?). Distribute the version with your app (if you are embedding it in an
app, this is almost certainly what you want to do).

2. Stick with the features in 2.1. Apart from the addition of the "yield"
keyword (and hence generators), no features of the language will change
until 3.0 (although you can access new features using from __future__
statements).

3. If there is a particular feature that you need that is missing from a
distribution, you can always add it yourself - perferably as a library, but
if you need to change the core, you can. It's unlikely that such a change
would make it into the standard distribution, but if you make a good enough
argument for it, and (most importantly) provide the source to the change, it
just may.

Tim Delaney
Cross Avaya R&D
+61 2 9352 9079