IsPython really O-O? (fwd)

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Wed Nov 14 02:40:14 EST 2001

> > 1) Python is more like Smalltalk that Python is like Java
> > 2) Python is more like Smalltalk than Java is like Smalltalk

> both mean the same thing.

This gives me the opportunity for some gratuitous ASCII art:

                                        [ Java ]
   [ Python ]
                                     [ Smalltalk ]

In the drawn map, (1) is true.  Python is (a little) closer to Smalltalk
than to Java; but Java and Smalltalk are far closer to each other.  (2)
is clearly false in the picture.

A more accurate picture probably makes (1) false and (2) true.  So
another ASCII drawing:

                                        [ Java ]
   [ Python ]
                 [ Smalltalk ]