bg and fg

Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale wzdd at lardcave.net
Mon Nov 5 10:19:40 EST 2001

On  4 Nov, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
> Sun, 4 Nov 2001 19:37:12 +0100, Andreas Kostyrka <andreas at mtg.co.at> pisze:

>>> 	os.setsid # what does THAT mean? it was in the example.
>>> 	          # i looked into "pydoc os" but i didn't understand
>>> 		  # find an explantation
>> This makes the process it's own session leader. ;)
>
> But only when called: os.setsid(), not merely referenced: os.setsid.

Just a note for anyone else wondering what various os.* functions do.
Often the functions have the same name as their POSIX C API equivalents,
so you're on a UNIX system with development man pages, you can just "man
<function>" to get a little more information.

On my system, "man 2 setsid" gives a useful, if terse, definition of
setsid(). This was useful to me six months ago when I ran across exactly
the same problem (wanted to write a daemon) and didn't understand what
setsid() did. :)

--
- Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale
http://www.lardcave.net

I'm thinking of getting a pet cheese.  I already have the cheese food.
- http://www.enweirdenment.org/cgi-bin/cube-hof.html