Scientific Libraries in Python

Horatio Davis horatio at qpsf.edu.au
Mon Nov 12 01:24:33 EST 2001

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, William Park wrote:

> Simply including the Fortran/C libraries (and their wrappers) as part of
> Python distribution wouldn't be a problem, other than licenses.  But, so
> far, nobody made that decision or see the need for it.

Not all people want to use Python for scientific computing. So, putting
such specialized codes in the standard library would be pushing "batteries
included" a little far.

What I am advocating is a standard extension library for doing scientific
computing in Python, in the same way that Numeric is the de-facto standard
extension library for doing number crunching in Python.

Of course, this thread has seen no comment yet from the authors of scipy
and Scientific Python (which seem to be the two key codebases), or the
other software projects which build on these.  There might be some
perfectly obvious reason why this is a horribly bad idea...

wondering-whether-there's-a-PEP-in-this'ly y'rs,

AHD