Non-Indented python

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Fri Nov 30 08:29:53 EST 2001

Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:13:20 +0000 (UTC), Michael Abbott <michael at rcp.co.uk> pisze:

>> This problem doesn't exist if you use 8 as the tab width because
>> then the apperance is consistent with semantics.
>
> Until you (or, more likely, someone else) run the source through
> an editor which happens to be configured for a different tab size

That's what I said: the problem doesn't exist if the tab size is always
kept at 8. It doesn't matter how many times indents are converted
between tabs and spaces, and what the tab key inserts, and whether
indents are consistently made of spaces or tabs or they are mixed.

There is no need to ban tabs, or to ban spaces, or to ban mixing
indents (whether it's mixing tabs with spaces on the same line or
mixing indentation methods on differnent lines belonging to the same
block). Just ban non-standard tab sizes and the problem is solved.

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/