Python on AIX

marco mdlch at altavista.net
Fri Nov 23 12:53:45 EST 2001

Martin von Loewis <loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de> writes:

> Unfortunately, it doesn't help Python developers much. What *would*
> help is to have an expert on AIX with much time at his hands, who
> understands all the problems and proposes a fix. That fix, ideally,
> would work on all versions of AIX or clearly identify the versions it
> does work for, and not interfere with the build procedure on other
> systems (or generalize that so that AIX comes out as an instance of
> the general procedure, instead of being a special case on its own).

I agree. However, I don't think that the extra () in the AIX case
statement of the Makefile is really OS-dependent, and it's easy
enough to fix (but of course I may be wrong :). It's a small glitch,
but these things do take time to figure out, and every bit helps.

The more complicated compilation problems are indeed of a different
nature altogether. Given AIX's niche position it's hard to achieve
the critical mass of experts/users required to weed out all (or most)
of the problems. But that's just the way it is, I guess...

Anyway, at the very least one can try to document the problems for
future generations, which was the main point of my post.

Cheers,

mdlch at altavista.net
Gunnm: Broken Angel
http://reimeika.ca/