Problems with dbhash in Python-2.1?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Nov 1 13:58:32 EST 2001

I've got an application written in Python-2.0, which used the dbhash
module.  I've had two different people report similar problems running
it under Python-2.1.  One of them on Debian Linux, the other on
Solaris-8.

The solaris guy reports the following stack trace:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/export/home/emermels/source/src/tools/cvt1418.py", line 6, in
  ?
    import smic
  File "/export/home/emermels/source/src/tools/pylib/smic.py", line 9,
  in ?
    import dbhash
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/dbhash.py", line 5, in ?
    import bsddb
ImportError: No module named bsddb

The Debian guy got some other strange error involving bsddb (which
unfortunately I didn't save, because when he down-graded to 2.0 the
problem went away).

Is this a known problem?