Two questions about Python..

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Nov 19 20:10:46 EST 2001

Ken wrote:

> I'm looking into using Python for a project, and was wondering how does
> Python rank up against other scripting languages for speed?
>
> I assume its not as fast as something like C, which isn't an option as I
> need a scripting language.
>
> Second question is, does Python have a robust exception handling system?
>
> Ie.. if a program loads a module and that module has a logic error in
> it, can the program recover? Or will it crash?

Good question see http://www.python.org/doc/Comparisons.html

The most thorough comparison relevant to your question (linked
above, but not in PDF format there) is probably:

 http://wwwipd.ira.uka.de/~prechelt/Biblio/jccpprtTR.pdf

which compares Python, Java, C, C++ and others for a particular
string-processing program.

Of course, speed of execution usually gets too much attention,
and you should probably be more concerned about speed of
development, ease of maintenance, and fun, which are all areas
where Python wins hands down...

And yes, Python exception handling is excellent.  I'm sure
you'll find the language an excellent choice for your project.

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com