Python is better than free (was Re: GNU wars again)

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Oct 3 01:20:52 EDT 2001

Chris Watson wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 October 2001 02:58 pm, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
>
> >    This is exactly how the GPL works - it charges for my code. You
> > can pay
> > me money, or you can pay me by opening your code.
>
> Thats called extorsion.

That is getting close to the silliest thing I've heard of.  It's open
source software.  You play by the rules (the license), or you don't use
it.  It's hardly extortion to make you open source your own software if
you choose to use mine, if I so wish it.  After all, I could _not_ make
the source available at all, and only let you use it under license if
you pay me.  Is that extortion?

Calling putting a license on software that I'm making publicly available
"extortion" is ludicrous.

/  \ A wise man never loses anything if he have himself.
\__/ Montaigne
    Maths reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/maths/
 A mathematics reference.