Converting perl to python available?

Gerhard Häring gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Sat Oct 27 07:03:57 EDT 2001

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 10:37:35PM -0400, Wayne Ringling wrote:
> I have a few programs that I would love to convert to python but don't want
> to spend the time to recode them completly.

import os
os.system("myscript.pl")

;-)

> Is there a project that is working on a conversion program yet?

Seriously, has there ever been a translator from one language to another
that did not produce an absolute mess? I imagine it will only work
reasonably well for similiar languages, like Pascal -> Ada. But Perl and
Python are very different. Perl regexes would have to be translated to
Python library calls, for example ... What point would there be to
having translated code that is a greater mess than the original Perl
code <ducks>?

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0