Install of MySQLdb fails - cl.exe missing

haaserd haaserd at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 21:53:04 EST 2001

Hi,

I am trying to install MySQLdb on Windows 98SE.  I have
Python 2.1.1 installed and current versions of MySQL and
mxDateTime.  Each time I try to run "python setup.py
install" the procedure fails because a module cl.exe is not
found.

I have tried this with MySQLdb versions 0.9.1, 0.9.0, and
0.3.5 and all fail the same way.  I have MySQLdb version
0.9.0 installed on another PC running Python 2.0 and
Windows/Me.  This PC doesn't have a cl.exe either, and I
have no clue as to what I am doing differently.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Here is the latest output from setup:

running install
running build
running build_py
not copying CompatMysqldb.py (output up-to-date)
not copying _mysql_exceptions.py (output up-to-date)
not copying MySQLdb\__init__.py (output up-to-date)
not copying MySQLdb\converters.py (output up-to-date)
not copying MySQLdb\connections.py (output up-to-date)
not copying MySQLdb\cursors.py (output up-to-date)
not copying MySQLdb\sets.py (output up-to-date)
not copying MySQLdb\times.py (output up-to-date)
not copying MySQLdb\constants\__init__.py (output
up-to-date)
not copying MySQLdb\constants\CR.py (output up-to-date)
not copying MySQLdb\constants\FIELD_TYPE.py (output
up-to-date)
not copying MySQLdb\constants\ER.py (output up-to-date)
not copying MySQLdb\constants\FLAG.py (output up-to-date)
not copying MySQLdb\constants\REFRESH.py (output up-to-date)

not copying MySQLdb\constants\CLIENT.py (output up-to-date)
running build_ext
building '_mysql' extension
cl.exe /c /nologo /Ox /MD /W3 /GX -Ic:\mysql\include
-IC:\PYTHON21\Include /Tc_mysql.c
/Fobuild\temp.win32-2.1\Release\_mysql.obj

TIA,

Roger