Smtplib module

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ignacio at openservices.net
Mon Oct 22 20:45:51 EDT 2001

On 22 Oct 2001, David Bolen wrote:

>  [snip]
>
> Given that you weren't suggesting that (using it to get closer to the
> final target for better error status), then I'm somewhat confused as
> to why anyone would bother with a manual MX lookup.  It seems of
> dubious benefit to just duplicate what your local mail system is
> already (presumably) configured to do very well.

Simply because it is not configured to pass the SMTP error code(s) back to the
program from the eventual destination unless the destination is local.

I have seen some MTAs and MTA-enhancment software that interferes with this
(Bad Inflex, Bad!), but it's a lot better than the "shot-in-the-dark" approach
of blindly forwarding everything to sendmail or the like.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio at openservices.net>

   "As far as I can tell / It doesn't matter who you are /
    If you can believe there's something worth fighting for."
       - "Parade", Garbage