Sockets

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Oct 10 12:36:37 EDT 2001

In article <9q1rk7$sim$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu>, Donn Cave wrote:
> Quoth grante at visi.com (Grant Edwards):
> [quoting someone else]
>|> How can i received in 2 separeted variables ?
>|
>| Use a datagram service, or impose a datagram protocol on top of
>| a stream service.
>|
>| I think the world really needs a reliable datagram service to
>| sit alongside TCP and UDP...
>
> I would think the diagram would put it on top of UDP, right?
> Should be doable.

Sure, you use user-space code to either put datagrams on top of
TCP or reliability on top of UDP. But, I don't think it should
be something done in user-space.  I think SOCK_SEQPACKET should
be implimented on top of IP in the network stack along with
SOCK_DGRAM and SOCK_STREAM.

But that's just because I'm tired of running into problems
caused by the assumption that TCP is a datagram protocol, and
tired of hacking a datagram protocols onto the top of TCP to
fix those problems.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Am I in GRADUATE
                                  at               SCHOOL yet?