Coding exceptions with patter-matching

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Oct 28 01:14:09 EDT 2001

Martin von Loewis wrote:

> tiago.tresoldi at bol.com.br (Tiago Tresoldi) writes:
>
> > Now I've found a problem dealing with exceptions in human languages.
> > For example, how to code that you have feet instead of foots?
>
> If your current approach is to start with a word-by-word translation,
> I'd say you can give up right now - there is no chance that you'll
> ever achieve reasonable translation of natural languages.

A cursory examination of their web site suggests they are not
quite so naive as all that.  In any case perhaps a slightly fresh
approach to the problem will lead to inspirations which those more
conservative have not yet had...

'''
The Traduki meta-language is a collection of lists (remember that
Traduki is programmed in Python) that are somewhat modelled on the
generative grammars of Noam Chomsky. There is no real translation to
another language: we try to interpret and parse the concepts and ideas
of a text and then translate this into the user-defined language.
Esperanto is used, but only for a word-by-word translation. This is
better because Esperanto is a well-known language that many people
with different languages and interests speak, so that almost all the
words of all languages have a translation ....
'''

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com