hashval and Numpy

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Oct 19 04:52:58 EDT 2001

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:

> > | 56
> > | 57
> > | KeyError
> > | 56
> > | KeyError
> >
> > | Moral: don't use mutable objects as dictionary keys.
>
> Hm.  The Numeric.array object should not have defined __hash__ or
> tp_hash.  It's wrong if a mutable object defines a hash function, for
> exactly this reason.

I was making that interactive session up to show why mutable objects
shouldn't define a hash function!

Indeed, the OP was complaining that Numeric.array *didn't* define a
hash function... (and then snipped out the bit of my post where I said
I was making it up).

circularly-ly y'rs
M.

--
  we're already scrubbing the face of intuition with steel wool,
  setting it on fire, then putting it out with an axe <wink>.