Python is better than free (was Re: GNU wars again)

Oleg Broytmann phd at
Wed Oct 3 06:54:47 CEST 2001

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 10:14:58PM -0500, Chris Watson wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 October 2001 09:54 pm, Delaney, Timothy wrote:
> > > From: Chris Watson [mailto:opsys at]
> > However, GPL is *not* extortion. The writer of a piece of code has every
> > right to want to protect, control or charge for it.
> That's true. But dont call it Free code if you do. Because it is not free.
> Look up free in the dictionary. That is the ONLY definition that should be
> followed. Not whatever twisted version the FSF and GNU people want to use.
> The gernal gist of any dictionary is its free if its free from control,
> opression, or restrictions.

   I disagree. Some restrictions must be imposed. I don't want your fist to
fly freely into my nose; that why I want to impose restrictions. Absolute
freedom is impossible in this not-so-ideal world. I don't want arrognt and
greedy Big Power Companies freely take the ball and run with it. GNU GPL
looks very good balanced for me.

     Oleg Broytmann              phd at