Possible to read/write Excel files in Python?

Steven Sartorius ssartor at bellatlantic.net
Wed Oct 3 13:39:51 EDT 2001

I'm running 2.1.1 on an i386 NetBSD box and the application I'm working on
needs to grab some data from an Excel spreadsheet.  I've found a couple of
apps (xlHTML for example) that will take a spreadsheet and turn it into
html/text and I've seen an article on IBM's web site talking about how to
read/write Excel with perl.  Is there anything out there that will let me
manipulate spreadsheets directly from Python?  I'm not big on perl and I'd
hate to have to do Excel->perl->python!

Any help much appreciated...

Steve Sartorius