how does latebinding (com) work ?

seb seb at
Tue Oct 30 01:08:05 CET 2001

On 29 Oct 2001 13:03:37 GMT, Uwe Schmitt <uwe at> wrote:

>can anybody explain, how late-binding of methods of com-objects work
>internally ? What happens if I try to access a method that's not
>implemented at this point of time ? Normally one should get an
>error message....
>Greetings, Uwe.
>Uwe.Schmitt at      Universität des Saarlandes
>phone: +49 (0)681/302-2468     Geb. 36.1, Zi. 4.17, PF 151150
>                               D-66041  Saarbrücken
As i understand it not really since it's up to the caller. To use late
binding you call IDispatch::GetIDsOfNames and if this doesn't resolve
then there isn't anything to use.

GetIDsOfNames should return DISP_E_UNKNOWNNAME if one or more are
unknown and DISPID_UNKNOWN will be placed in the entry(ies) for which
the dispatch id is unknown, any other entries should be fine. This
makes it very much runtime which is a python-ly thing i suspect.

Platform SDK:Automation on the M$ developer's site should find it.
I've used it and it seems to work, can throw some code at you if you

seb. (programmer previously known as dawks)