Newbie: tkinter question

Serge Rey serge at rohan.sdsu.edu
Wed Oct 10 16:44:07 EDT 2001

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 07:49:23AM -0500, Cameron Laird wrote:
> In article <d6453d54.0110100349.6b834d3f at posting.google.com>,
> Attila Pletyak <attila.pletyak at anemo.com> wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >  I am using Debian Linux 2.2, I've installed python from the deb
> >packages. I would like to try out the possibilites of tkinter, but the
> >module tkinter seems to be missing from my computer. Python is 1.5.2,
> >and when I start it and type "from Tkinter import * " it says that it
> >cannot find tkinter.
> >
> >  I looked on the tkinter home page, it routes me to
> >dev.scriptics.com, but there I cannot really find tkinter.
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> In the absence of explanation from a Debian expert--and
> I do recognize there are a several nearby--my usual ad-
> vice is to download Python 2.2 and re-build your own
> installation.  Are you comfortable with such a generation?
> It's quite straightforward.

for debian you need to install the package python-tk in addition to
python-base if you want tk:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/interpreters/python-tk.html

the rebuild route that cameron suggests also will work fine under debian
potato (aka 2.2).

HTH

--
Sergio J. Rey	http://typhoon.sdsu.edu/rey.html
GPG fingerprint =  16DB 4934 E0F1 B386 AE81  D379 914C 33E5 F690 95DF