Newbie: tkinter question

Serge Rey serge at
Wed Oct 10 22:44:07 CEST 2001

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 07:49:23AM -0500, Cameron Laird wrote:
> In article <d6453d54.0110100349.6b834d3f at>,
> Attila Pletyak <attila.pletyak at> wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >  I am using Debian Linux 2.2, I've installed python from the deb
> >packages. I would like to try out the possibilites of tkinter, but the
> >module tkinter seems to be missing from my computer. Python is 1.5.2,
> >and when I start it and type "from Tkinter import * " it says that it
> >cannot find tkinter.
> >
> >  I looked on the tkinter home page, it routes me to
> >, but there I cannot really find tkinter.
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> In the absence of explanation from a Debian expert--and
> I do recognize there are a several nearby--my usual ad-
> vice is to download Python 2.2 and re-build your own
> installation.  Are you comfortable with such a generation?
> It's quite straightforward.

for debian you need to install the package python-tk in addition to
python-base if you want tk:

the rebuild route that cameron suggests also will work fine under debian
potato (aka 2.2).

Sergio J. Rey
GPG fingerprint =  16DB 4934 E0F1 B386 AE81  D379 914C 33E5 F690 95DF
"No, Hardy! No, Hardy! It is a very interesting number. It is the
smallest number expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different
ways." - Ramanujan on the number 1729