Conditional Expressions don't solve the problem

Kevin D salemail at dial.pipex.com
Thu Oct 18 03:45:25 EDT 2001

Hi Christoper.

com-nospam at ccraig.org (Christopher A. Craig) wrote in message news:<mailman.1003322237.30330.python-list at python.org>...
> I personnally don't like your suggestion as they are mind numbingly ugly

Can I assume that's IYHO ? Please elucidate on what, exactly, numbs
your mind about them. I've tried to reason out what I thought were the
issues that cause this thread to appear periodically (modulo "it isn't
like C") and suggest syntax that fixes those problems.

Can we at least agree that the issues I listed _are_ problems ? If
not, please give reasons.

> I wish Python had initially adopted
>
>   do:
>     <statements>
>     until <condition>
>     <statements>
>
> Which is, of course, behaves identically to
>
>   while 1:
>     <statements>
>     if <condition>: break
>     <statements>
>
> but is prettier.

I don't see what _problem_ this is addressing. You're just
substituting words. I was actually trying to _identify readability
issues_ with this construct and fix them.

> Additionally I think that the present system is not that hard to adapt to.

Remembering to prefix all your string variables with '$' and all your
integer variables with '%' isn't "hard to adapt to". Plenty of BASIC
newbies did. That doesn't mean that there aren't better ways of doing
it :)

You seem to think I'm advocating change for change's sake. I'm not. I
was trying to move the conversation away from the issue of "what 'C'
does and whether Python should do that too" and towards consideration
of the root issues that cause people to request "what C does" so often
because that's the only solution they see.

Regards, Kev.