Compiling Python2.1.1 on FreeBSD3.5 Problem

Gerrie Roos gerrie at trispen.com
Thu Oct 4 02:38:30 EDT 2001

Gerhard Häring wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 11:36:05AM +0200, Gerrie Roos wrote:
> > Hi!
> > Hope it's in order to ask such questions here...
> >
> > I downloaded Python-2.1.1.tgz, the latest sources I could find, unpacked
> > the lot on a FreeBSD3.5 machine read all the compiling/installation
> > stuff, etc...then I:
> >
> > - did 'make clobber' just to make sure...
> > -  Removed '-ltermcap' from the 'readline' entry in Modules/Setup, as
> > advised in the README. [...]
>
> Any reason you don't use ./configure ; make ; make install ? This
> normally is all that is necessary to install Python on Unix.

I tried that right at the very beginning, but since I had problems with the
curses module I followed the instructions in the README.  'make clobber' I used
instead of 'make clean' between unsuccessful builds, since its more thorough.
The rest is the same.

> (Btw. the errors you got were in the curses module. You normally don't
> need this module.)

I think if all else fails I will just ignore the curses module, since everything
else seemed to compile ok.

> Or: Python 2.1 is in the FreeBSD ports collection. Maybe even 2.1.1,
> haven't checked for some time. I used that on FreeBSD 4.2. Perhaps
> the port works on the older 3.5, too.

I've actually installed the 2.1.1 package, but I've been having problems getting
mySQLclient/pyMySQL working with it ok, and I suspect it might be because the
package caters for FBSD >= 4.0.  So I opted to compile natively to see if it
solves any of my other problems.

Thanks in any case, maybe I've got more luck today...