POLL in different OSes

Rich Harkins rharkins at thinkronize.com
Tue Oct 23 16:57:45 EDT 2001

That is true for some cases at least.  However, I frequently run into a case
where I am only concerned about a small handful of descriptors (two or
three) and creating three lists for each issuance of select can be expensive
(especially if the timer goes off more frequently than file descriptors).
Also I often end up needing to add lists together to get the read, write, or
exception sets I want which also creates temporary objects.  If I really
needed to iterate through the mess I could use a list comprehension or a
reduce call (especially if the polled objects handled iszero). which would
only generate 1 temporary object instead of up to six.

Anyway, it was just a thought...

Rich

[ SNIP ]