Newbie question about running scripts

Paul Wright -$Paul$- at verence.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 7 16:34:58 EDT 2001

In article <a71afa52.0110070550.1ea7cd6b at posting.google.com>,
Lenny <lenpfe at fastol.com> wrote:
>I tried downloading a lesson plan from a kids summer camp. This
>included step by step lesson plans and sample programs and activites.
>I was doing well until they got to the import command. I downloaded
>the mod, then tried writing the program but it immediately came back
>with"unable to locate file". Am I supposed to load mods to a
>particular folder or list an additional path in the autoexe. file for
>the location of these mods, or do I need to have the folder opened on
>the desktop in the background in order for it to see it.

I'm guessing this is the LiveWires stuff, in which case you should have
a look at the README.txt file which comes in the .zip file with the
python module, as this tells you how to install it:

"""

Get a command prompt (DOS prompt, shell, or whatever your system calls
it). Change into the directory where you've unpacked this archive.

Run the setup.py script that comes in the package, by typing:

python setup.py install

If you get an error message from Python about the distutils package,
you've forgotten to install it (see "What you will need" above). If you
get a message from your system saying that it cannot find python, you'll
need to make sure that the python executable is on your PATH, or provide
the path to it explicitly, eg:
c:\program files\python\python setup.py install

"""

If you're using the default Python install on Windows, you will
definitely need to give the full path to Python when you run the setup
script, as it says in the last paragraph.

At some stage I will get round to making "install" the default action of
the setup script so Windows users will just be able to click on it.

--
----- Paul Wright ------| Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal
-paul.wright at pobox.com--| desire. --Dorothy Parker