Help - Problems with Tk in Python

Denis denis.fan at dcs.warwick.ac.uk
Fri Oct 19 06:37:08 EDT 2001

Problems with Tkinter and _tkinter:

 I have installed Python 2.1.1 and Tcl/tk 8.3 into my directory (sun
 solaris).  Python seems to work fine after a bit of tuning , but when I

 tried to import "Tkinter" (The GUI module in Python), it has come out
 the following error messages:

 >>> import  _tkinter
 Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<stdin>", line 1, in?
 ImportError: id.so.1: /(directory)/Python-2.1.1/python: fatal:
 libtk8.2.so:
 open failed: No such file or directory
 >>> import Tkinter
 Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<stdin>", line 1, in?
 File "/(directory)/Python-2.1.1/Lib/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 35, in?
     import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured
 for Tk
 ImportError: id.so.1: /(directory)/Python-2.1.1/python: fatal:
 libtk8.2.so:
 open failed: No such file or directory

 Since I have installed Tcl/tk as well, (after ./configure and make
 command to build Python) I have changed the path setting of the tcl/tk
 headers and library files location into the new version one. Then run
 the 'make install' again, but mission unsuccessful!

 Fatal error occurs during the process of rebuilding the Python and now
 am stuck ...

 Has anyone know how to tackle this? I would be really grateful to hear
 from you, many thanks

 Regards
 Denis

--
Image Processing Group
Dept. of Computer Science       email:  denis.fan at dcs.warwick.ac.uk
University of Warwick           phone:  +44 24 7652 2438
Coventry, CV4 7AL, United Kingdom