Unpacking extension (Re: A small inconsistency in syntax?)

Michael Robin me at mikerobin.com
Wed Oct 31 11:16:42 EST 2001

I'd think there's no reason to disallow it.
Although in Python the comma operator creates tuples
rather than the parens, for many it looks as if
   a,b = seq
is just shorthand for
   (a,b) = seq
and if it unpacks lists too (which it does)
you may as well have the option of being
explicit in your LHS pattern.
Also, given that lists are mutable and tuples are
not, the list notation makes some kind of sense,
even though you're rebinding the names in the LHS
rather than creating a list, per se.

I think one issue is that tuple unpacking looks an
awful lot like unification pattern matching
a la prolog, because the shape of the LHS
effects unpacking, in which case you'd expect a lot.
But it's only ShapeAssign(LHS<--RHS) rather than
Unify( LHS<-->RHS).
Unpacking is a little to the left between
multiple assignment and unification, which
makes it pretty unique (i think?).
I certainly can live w/o "[a,b] = foo" -
but just another viewpoint...