newbie str to int

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 2 13:30:43 EDT 2001

On Monday 01 October 2001 21:22, James wrote:
> I am switching from Perl to Python, and would
> like to convert string '123abc' to integer 123.
>
> foo = int('123abc') # error
> foo = string.atoi('123abc') #error
> foo = eval('123abc') # error

> Why doing simple thing like this is so complicated ?

I think the real question is why you have ill-defined data like '123abc'.  Is
this an int followed by a string or a big hex number?  I think I would attack
this problem at the source: whatever piece of code generated that data should
be modified to insert a delimiter or not concatenate two bits of unrelated
data.

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer