Newbie question about running scripts

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Sun Oct 7 11:15:33 EDT 2001

"Lenny" <lenpfe at fastol.com> wrote in message
news:a71afa52.0110070550.1ea7cd6b at posting.google.com...
> I would like to thank Chris and Joshua for the information they gave
> me. I forgot to let you know I am using Win98SE. I tried adding the
> "set Path" string to the autoexe. file and restarting. By doing this,
> I was able to run the string I wrote once I rewrote it in Notepad and
> used explorer to get into the folder that it is stored in. It would
> not run unless I had that folder open. Is that the way it should work.
> Just for the heck of it to see if that did anything, I removed it from
> autoexe. and the file would not run.

Actually, autoexec.bat is not the best place to put this. The way I set
thing up (on Windows 98 SE) is to put a DOS icon into each
directory I'm going to be developing in, and add a .bat script to do
the setup when I invoke the DOS box. That way, I don't have to worry
about a global command line.

> I tried downloading a lesson plan from a kids summer camp. This
> included step by step lesson plans and sample programs and activites.
> I was doing well until they got to the import command. I downloaded
> the mod, then tried writing the program but it immediately came back
> with"unable to locate file". Am I supposed to load mods to a
> particular folder or list an additional path in the autoexe. file for
> the location of these mods, or do I need to have the folder opened on
> the desktop in the background in order for it to see it.

The module needs to be either in your current directory or in your
python path. You can permanently add it to your Python path with a .pth
file in the main python directory. The documentation on this feature is kind
of obscure.

> I appologize for these questions that I know are far below what you
> are normally used to answer, but I cant seem to find this info out
> from any of the tutorials or help folders. It seems that most of the
> tutorial assume that you know this already or you are having an
> experienced programmer help you. Please let me know if I should use
> another message board for these basic questions. I dont want to use up
> space on your site if these questions are inappropriate. I am kinda
> looking to you all as my "experienced programmers". As I said before,
> I had programmed with COBOL, BASIC, and FORTRAN in the early 80's but
> things have gotten much more advanced since then.

Well, different at least. This is the correct newsgroup, and novice
questions are what keeps the documentation writers on their toes.

John Roth