Optional type declaration?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at home.com
Wed Oct 3 19:04:51 EDT 2001

"VanL" <vlindberg at verio.net> wrote in message
news:3BBB82DE.9080607 at verio.net...
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know whether optional type declaration has been
considered
> for python?

This has been discussed by various people in the newsgroup for several
years (see archives at groups.google.com).  I believe there is or was
a TypesSIG (see python.org )

> An optional type declaration system for python could be implemented
that
> would use either a specially formatted portion of the docstring or a
new
> keyword that could specify type at compile time.

Anyone is free to experiment with a system that only depends on doc
strings.  I believe that there have been a few experiments, but
nothing that has swept the community.

[fair summary of much of what has been said before snipped]

Terry J. Reedy